[FoRK] ...as opposed to Feedlot Kids?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sat Apr 25 09:50:44 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 04:22:53PM -0700, Marty Halvorson wrote:
<snip>
> I often wonder how kids today are ever going to learn to cope with
> life's many trials and disappointments.

I often wonder how kids who were raised to look after themselves can fit
into a society shaped by and for kids who weren't.

Heck, since the 80s, it has seriously hampered your ability to relate to
strangers if you're not familiar with current TV programming.

Kids who are too busy "playing outside" -- exploring, having fun with
friends, tinkering, and earning pocket money -- won't have a lot of time
to groom their online social-network, play video games, chat or engage
in other modern indoor computer-mediated social activities.

I'd imagine that they'd be treated as nerds, people who understand and
care about weird offline stuff and do things most folks wouldn't trust
themselves to do.  Probably, they'd be regarded as unemotional 'cos they
just don't react to like, MAJOR things, dude.

I guess that's how it's always been - most folks find the biggest social
game, fit in and try to play it, some folks care about other stuff.

ObNerd: Kage Baker has a lot of fun with these themes in her Company
novels, as resourceful wine-drinking meat-eating folks of the past
interact with neurotic vegan teetotaller milquetoasts of the future.