[FoRK] ...as opposed to Feedlot Kids?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Apr 25 11:36:40 PDT 2009

Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 04:22:53PM -0700, Marty Halvorson wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> I often wonder how kids today are ever going to learn to cope with
>> life's many trials and disappointments.
>>

> I often wonder how kids who were raised to look after themselves can fit
> into a society shaped by and for kids who weren't.
>
> Heck, since the 80s, it has seriously hampered your ability to relate to
> strangers if you're not familiar with current TV programming.
>
> Kids who are too busy "playing outside" -- exploring, having fun with
> friends, tinkering, and earning pocket money -- won't have a lot of time
> to groom their online social-network, play video games, chat or engage
> in other modern indoor computer-mediated social activities.
>
> I'd imagine that they'd be treated as nerds, people who understand and
> care about weird offline stuff and do things most folks wouldn't trust
> themselves to do.  Probably, they'd be regarded as unemotional 'cos they
> just don't react to like, MAJOR things, dude.

I was handicapped / privileged like that.  Almost no TV before 16.  Read
most books in the library, but also was outside probably more than
anyone else in the city, running or mowing or painting or something the
whole time.  As I was running a few days ago, I realized that some of
these years I commute, driving, less miles than I used to run every year
(3000+).  Some of my kids have chosen the social seeking route, some
not.  All of them had plenty of exploring time.

I was socially weak for quite a while, and still have some echoes of
it.  I managed pretty well, although I would have done much better had I
picked up better skills.  The other stuff paid off in every other way
however.

I have some ideas about solving the social / relationship skills gap,
although mainly thinking of adults at this point.  Is anyone interested
in that kind of venture?
> I guess that's how it's always been - most folks find the biggest social
> game, fit in and try to play it, some folks care about other stuff.
>
> ObNerd: Kage Baker has a lot of fun with these themes in her Company
> novels, as resourceful wine-drinking meat-eating folks of the past
> interact with neurotic vegan teetotaller milquetoasts of the future.

That's a valid contrast sometimes.  Also valid sometimes: comparing
practically dead-at-40, ignorant, narrow minded (racist etc.), sometimes
abusive / abusee, sexually confused people of yesteryear with super
healthy, well-informed / educated, metropolitan (or whatever you want to
call it), and variously well-rounded people of the present.