[FoRK] ...as opposed to Feedlot Kids?

HK Pang hkpang at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 12:15:43 PDT 2009

Back in China in the 70s, kids pretty much can go as far as they
physically capable without much concern for safety. I often wondered
miles away from home after school. If you get lost, you just ask any
strangers and they typically would help you out. My parents were ok
with it as long as I got home for dinne.Under Communist rule,
non-political crime was almost unheard off.

When I was an older kid living in Hongkong in the 80s, I walked to
school with my younger sisters everyday, crossing busy streets and
heavy traffic. Students in Hongkong normally wear school uniforms and
owned a 'student handbook' with both school and home contact info.
Those two items served like your driver license and credit card. I
could use it to rent bicyles, get into arcades, pools and lanes etc.
Also, policemen back there were particularly friendly. Most of them
didn't sit in a car, they normally patrolled the neighborhood by foot.
Asking a police for help/direction was a very low stress experience.

Today's kids are still pretty physically capable if you let them. I
don't think human genes would deteriorate so much in a single
generation. My 3 & 6 years old are both taking swimming lessons and
playing soccer, something kids in my generation didn't get to do until
a couple years older. But the common feeling among parents is such
that even when you live in the safest small town in the US (where I
live was ranked #1 for a couple years in a row), you still wouldn't
let you kids out of your sight.

Ironically, safety and education are two of the most important reasons
why people carry an outrageous mortgage to live in better
neighborhoold.