[FoRK] Bullish on Facebook

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Apr 27 13:57:18 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:52:20AM -0700, Corinna Schultz wrote:

> After being exposed to the idea, I did my own research, and based on
> the information I found and a judgment about my own risk, I chose to
> use midwives for both my pregnancies. The first was a home birth, the

No problem if everything gets right. A big problem if something goes
wrong. And it does so surprisingly often.

There's a way to have both: the nice environment with midwives (rigorously
trained) and MDs on standby in the background, in case something goes awry.

> second a water birth. Furthermore: I delayed my kids' vaccinations. I

Delaying is one thing. Skipping them altogether is a classical tragedy
of the commons situation. What next, travelling midwives declaring soap optional?

> breastfed until the child self-weaned (for a few months there, I was

Breastfeeding is good. Seems to have quite a negative effect of
cognition (the woman's cognition, that is).

> nursing two. I felt like a mother cat!). I/we homeschooled for a

It's illegal over here. Unjustly so. On the other hand, most of the
U.S. homeschoolers are religious wingnuts, abusing the situation
to indoctrinate.

> while. My family is vegetarian (I occasionally eat meat). We had a

Raising kids vegan from baby age, especially with no vitamin supplements
is definitely child abuse. Or evolution in action, take your pick.

> family bed for a few years.
>
> I like to think I'm not nutty...

You took some risks. I'm glad they turned out okay.