[FoRK] culture & media research proposal

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Apr 27 15:05:08 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 08:54:22PM +0100, Simon Dann wrote:
> im split between the following two questions for my masters research
> project,
>
> "In today's cultural ecology is there such a thing as a free gift?"

"Yes."  "No."  It depends entirely on how you define 'free'.  Might make
a nice essay, but hard to stretch into a research paper.

> “In the light of present capitalist driven globalisation, which is the
> ultimate commodity: knowledge or identity?”

Might be interesting, in light of previous globalization-style trade
expansions driven by capitalism, mercantilism or simple economic expansion.

It may be a difficult comparison though, given differing modes of
communication and wealth movement, and given that knowledge was often
inextricibly tied to identity -- if you wanted to build a cloth mill,
you needed to poach someone who knew how to build one.  (That's how it
is with technology - if it's in a book, it's often too old to give you a
commercial advantage.)