[FoRK] ...as opposed to Feedlot Kids?

Simon Dann simon at photogabble.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 20:32:32 PDT 2009

that sounds like a pretty healthy childhood to be honest. my parents only
began to worry if we where late for meals. I remember being five or six and
regularly wandering between 2 and 3 miles from home with friends either
walking or on bikes, then we moved into the country and about two miles walk
down the road there was a huge (about 80m high at a 45-55deg angle) sand
bank next to a rarely used country road which we had huge amounts of fun
climbing up and using as a rather dangerous slide (by causing
mini-landslides and riding them). At around 13 or 14 my dad began taking me
out on longer and longer bike rides and eventually I began doing them on my
own to the point that one time I ended up 10 miles from home with only a
rough idea of how to get back. good memories, only significant time when my
parents became worried was when I was out on my bike past dark and then that
was only because I didn't have a torch.

I have friends who's parents only rule (at 16-17) was they needed be back by
dark or they slept in the bushes, I used to have one friend stay round my
house a couple of nights a week because we went to town and wouldn't get
back until late. my parents where pretty awesome in comparison.