[FoRK] Bullish on Facebook

Corinna Schultz corinna.schultz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:05:22 PDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 6:17 PM, kelley <kelley at inkworkswell.com> wrote:
> They tended to call themselves
> "unschoolers" to get away from the association with homeschoolers who do it
> for religious reasons.

Just, fyi, "unschooling" also has a technical definition. It generally
means, to homeschool without a curriculum. Generally it's led by the
child's interests, with some degree of parental oversight to make sure
nothing vital is being left out. In more extreme forms, it means
letting the kids have total control over their learning.

I would classify what I did as unschooling, because we didn't have a
curriculum, but we were very much directing what the kids learned. We
actively taught reading and math and history and literature and
writing, whether or not they expressed an interest. But, we did it
mostly in nontraditional ways  - reading together, playing games,
interaction and talking and watching movies and documentaries, stuff
like that. The kids had a choice in some things, so they never felt
stifled and they generally enjoyed lessons - after all it was focused
time with mom and dad. What little kid doesn't enjoy that? :)