[FoRK] Homeschooling (was: Bullish on Facebook)

Kevin Elliott k-elliott at wiu.edu
Tue Apr 28 11:10:58 PDT 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Tom Higgins wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Michael Cummins <michael at i-
> magery.com> wrote:
>> What prompts you to say that?
>

>> From a 2003 NCES study (http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2006/homeschool/ )
> Why are you homeschooling your kids?
>
> "To provide religious or moral instruction 	793,000 	72.3 %"

I think the chart you list provides a much more nuanced view.

Number 1 reason:

Concern about environment of other schools   935,000    85.4%

Number 2 reason:
Dissatisfaction with academic instruction at other schools  748,000
68.2%

Breaking down the numbers, the split if 50/50 between religion and and
environment, with environment in "the lead".

I think it's a big jump to say that someone who says they want to
provide religious/moral instruction to their children is a religious
nut.

-Kevin