[FoRK] Homeschooling (was: Bullish on Facebook)

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Tue Apr 28 12:58:23 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> wrote:
>> I think it's a big jump to say that someone who says they want to provide
>> religious/moral instruction to their children is a religious nut.
>
> You can never say never, and not all are the same..but having been
> exposed to more than I ever wanted the jump is not that big nor is the
> landing that rough.
>
> Should it be this way? Thats a whole other question. Sadly though
> across many kitchen tables the young offspring being home schooled
> are being done so to address concerns like evolution, focus on a
> particular invisible sky monster and/or ideologically conformity that
> is not meet in the public schools environs.

Which is incredibly scary to those of us outside of society's norms --
e.g. Jews, Muslims, atheists, etc.

>From my point of view, one of the main problems with public schools is
the degree to which "intelligent design", particular invisible ceiling
cats, etc. *are* addressed in the public schools.  Both of my kids
have attended a school where all religious holidays (and individual
birthdays, and St. Valentine's Day, etc.) are unmentioned and
unobserved.  Makes things a lot easier, and tends to inoculate them
against later attempts to mix church and state.

Fish people and other zealots should feel free to "take back"
Christmas as soon as possible.  Also Easter, St. Patrick's Day, and
Halloween.

Ken Meltsner