[FoRK] why China isn't the next Silicon Valley

Ian Andrew Bell hello at ianbell.com
Tue Jun 2 09:19:47 PDT 2009

Chinese business/technology culture simply doesn't have the maturity
to build evolved, functional, consumer-facing services.  I say this
from personal experience but also those of at least a dozen friends
and business associates who have tried to outsource components or
entire projects to engineering teams in Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai,
and Shenzhen.  All projects failed because of extremely poor attention
to detail, a refusal by Chinese engineers to participate in quality
control exercises, and a general ignorance of any sort of best
practises.  Unfortunately, China is a culture which has over the
course of decades de-emphasized pride-of-workmanship (witness the
presence of melamine and other toxins in most of their food supply)
but which is currently swept by greed and the desire for a fast buck.
It is also a society where people think nothing of intellectual
property theft, or outright theft, and these are crimes for which
there is no effective legal recourse.

There will be exceptions to this rule, of course.  But 100% of the
companies I know that have tried to Tango with the Chinese have come
away singed -- or worse.

-Ian.