[FoRK] google wave

Karl Anderson kra at monkey.org
Thu Jun 4 11:54:26 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:08 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 05:21:39PM +1000, Damien Morton wrote:
> > Of course, Google Wave seems to enable the evils of sideposting,
> > crossposting, inposting and outposting, all of which will require a set
> of
> > manners to manage.
>
> Since it's a proprietary service (unless they opensource the stack to
> allow me to be a node) the users will do what users do and what Google
> will tolerate.
>
> Frankly, I find it difficult to care.

How is it less proprietary than email?  They say you can be a node, and that
you will have everything you need - is that inaccurate (yes, it's still a
draft)?  Why is the license on the current stack any more relevant than,
say, Qmail's license?

http://www.waveprotocol.org/

"""We want to expand upon that platform, which is why we've put together the
initial draft of the Google Wave Federation Protocol, the underlying network
protocol for sharing waves between wave providers.

Yes, that's *between* wave providers: anyone can build a wave server and
interoperate, much like anyone can run their own SMTP server. """