[FoRK] google wave

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Wed Jun 10 14:47:38 PDT 2009

Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote on 6/10/2009 2:13 PM:

> On Jun 10, 2009, at 3:54 PM, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>
>> Whats nice is that if you're willing to admit that, you already know
>> all the answers - just look em up!
>
> Ha! That's my complaint: in the old days you at least had an excuse for
> believing you'd invented something truly new :) Now, a quick google, a
> bit of bing, and pop go all such delusions...

Only in reality it's like patent searches, people are taught to never
ever go searching for prior work - because it's there. But that's just
fine because so long as you don't go looking, you can "honestly" claim
it's new.

What I find dangerous are the people in the middle. The retired know
what's up, and can talk about the good old days, and they rock. The
youngins are kept in a state of blissful ignorance - which extends well
into industry if you look at early Microsoft or Google today. But the
ones in the middle that _know_ they are repeating old work, but whose
either careers (.com) or funding (.edu) depend on nobody pointing this
out... well I just try to avoid them.

It's always possible to do better, cheaper, and Moore's. But anyone who
claims "new" has huge burden of proof to overcome the assumption that
they are completely full of shit. Sad thing is, many of them really
don't know it!

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/