[FoRK] What's that tell you?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Jun 13 16:32:32 PDT 2009

Got the same transfer rate (1-3KB/sec for hours) on both Verizon DSL and
Sprint broadband, while on other sites, including Google, Adobe, Ubuntu
mirrors, my own server near a backbone in S. Cal, were all very fast.
30-200KB/sec at least, depending on site available bandwidth.  If it
happens again, I can proxy through another network to test.

If it was a bad cache, it was one that their software chose and stuck
to, even after 4 restarts.  I stand by my evaluation, although it was a
single day observation.  Microsoft MSDN downloads on that day were poor
for me.  Today, it is at about 230-270KB/sec.

I know I've noted slow sites before in the past.  And the painful
experience that is Sharepoint doesn't help my general impression, even
though it isn't their web site per se.

sdw