[FoRK] Roll your own clowd storage....

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 16:03:22 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Stephen D. Williams<sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> The literature talks about archiving, however it doesn't really refer to
> backup, which would be a natural similar capability.

Given clustered storage, there's no problem with simple hardware
failure, and the back-up issue reduces to protecting against
destruction of an entire site. We take two approaches to that. 1) You
can divide a cluster into sub-clusters that reside in different sites,
providing there is good connectivity between them. Castor
automatically disperses replicas across sub-clusters as they are
created, so losing one sub-cluster to a fire, for example,
automatically preserves any data with more than 1 replica. Two
replicas is the default policy. 2) The Content Router product provides
a way to manage multiple clusters, with periodic connectivity. One
common use is to keep a cluster replicated into a downstream
ur-archive or backup.

1) is a standard feature available with the free 4Tb. Put 2 computers
in your office, and 2 in your home, each with 1 Tb of storage,
configured as one cluster, and you have auto-magic backup. The hard
thing is that they have to be able to send UDP to each other and
listen to a single group IP, and that may be a bit tricky unless you
have a good pipe between home and office.