[FoRK] Opera Unite

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jun 16 17:02:59 PDT 2009

They have to proxy, at least the connection.  According to this early
analysis, they currently proxy the whole thing:
http://www.jorgemarsal.com/blog/2009/06/16/how-does-opera-unites-file-sharing-service-work/

I've said for a while that browsers should directly support peer-to-peer
protocols and methods for web traffic.  Bittorrent-enabled HTTP Get's
would make any popular web site with large files more scalable.  What
Opera should have done I think, and may get to, is doing the connection
setup method were the proxy establishes the connection but the data
flows directly.  I.e. STUN and TURN:

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~library/TR-repository/reports/reports-2004/cucs-039-04.pdf
http://www.brynosaurus.com/pub/net/p2pnat/
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-rosenberg-midcom-turn-08.txt
http://www.b500.com/~hplus/nat-punch.html
http://midcom-p2p.sourceforge.net/

For this application, the client should try to establish a TCP
connection and then use that connection as an HTTP1.1 web proxy to the
other system.

Obviously it is better for data to flow directly, and it would be better
for everything to be TLS.

Clearly this has been doable for a while.  Skype could have done it at
any time.  Any of the IM services too.  Kind of nice that it came from
Opera.  Being from a browser vendor sets a nice precedent and puts the
security issues in a different light.

sdw