[FoRK] [Pigdog] mediawiki showstoppers?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 17 13:44:23 PDT 2009

----- Forwarded message from Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> -----

From: Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 10:05:03 -0700
Subject: Re: [Pigdog] [FoRK] mediawiki showstoppers?

(crosspost snipped since I'm not on those lists)

begin Eugen Leitl quotation of Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 06:15:55PM +0200:
> > Any reasons (security, architecture, better alternatives) I shouldn't use mediawiki?
>
> I'm thinking of nginx, mediawiki and PostgreSQL specifically.
>
> Usage pattern is collaborative document editing (less than 100 contributors,
> probably less than 10, not many hits), document depository, including rich
> content (photos, audio and movies included, maybe even HD movies). Mostly open,
> but with a closed space for a small inner circle of registred users.
>
> Ability to do safe backups and maybe clone to secondary servers
> in a master-slave fashion highly important.
>
> What say you, yeah/nay?

Possible overkill, if one of the lesser wikis would
meet your needs.

The git wiki is on MoinMoin: http://git.or.cz/gitwiki
And that one requires no RDBMS, which is one fewer
thing to administer.  MoinMoin does have attachments
and ACLs.  I'm thinking about using MoinMoin for a
project unless someone really sells me on MediaWiki
or one of the others.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco

----- End forwarded message -----