[FoRK] Opera Unite

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Wed Jun 17 20:40:06 PDT 2009

On Jun 16, 2009, at 8:02 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:

> Clearly this has been doable for a while.

I think the idea of having the browser host a server was first raised
in the context of file uploads. When the spec was being developed, I
remember a discussion about having the client send just a URL, and
that the server would then call back to fetch the actual media asset.
The whole idea of "servant" is pretty old.

That said, it's pretty cool that both Firefox and Opera have something
in that space. Between this and Wave, I think the next few years might
be quite interesting.