[FoRK] Accidental theorist lost, wanted back

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jul 16 10:02:41 PDT 2009

I agree that health insurance company reform is what is needed.  I think
that the public plan is supposed to be competition that causes that.
Better would be some creative incentives that encourage everyone
involved to be ever more efficient.

It is being said that the public plan idea will be killed, and instead
non-profit coops will be created.  This works pretty well for credit
unions, despite long-term and constant constraint and attacks by
commercial banks.  Being an entity separate from the government allows a
lot of flexibility in how it is set up, incentivized, etc.  It can vary
from nearly commercial to pseudo- or semi- governmental (Freddie Mac et
al, postal service).

sdw