[FoRK] Accidental theorist lost, wanted back

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Jul 16 14:10:42 PDT 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:12 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> I'm personally aware of several very common medical situations that
> extract 3-20x as much money and services as is necessary.  This is
> in addition to inflated retail prices vs. negotiated insurance
> company prices.  The retail prices are, I'm sure, used to inflate
> costs of uninsured, medicare, etc.

If these healthcare services are grossly over-priced by integer
factors, then why are the profits for most segments of that industry
unambiguously mediocre?  The only companies that make a decent profit
in the healthcare sector are pharmaceutical companies, and even there
the profit is not outrageous by any stretch of the imagination.

Why is it so hard for companies to turn what is nominally an
outrageous markup into a decent operating profit?

J. Andrew Rogers