[FoRK] Accidental theorist lost, wanted back

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Fri Jul 17 13:47:15 PDT 2009

HK Pang wrote on 7/17/2009 8:25 AM:
> If better fitness leads to better health and lower health care cost.
> So why not give out some tax incentives? There are many ways to
> penalize bad habits (like cigarette tax) but no enough to reward good
> habits.  For better or worse, money is a great motivator for lots of
> people.
>
> Here are some situations I can think of:
>
> 1) make all fitness/recreational memberships and fees tax deductible
> 2) make all fitness/recreational equipments tax dedictible
> 3) make 'healthy' foods tax deductible
> 4) give tax credit for verifiable exercise (like record of gym attendence etc)
> 5) give tax credit for losing weight or maintaining healthy weight
> (certified by doctor)
> 6) give tax credit for people who volunteer a drug test report.
> 7) give tax credit for people who pass a fitness test (relative to the
> test taker's own fitness level)
> 8) give tax credit for people who use less medical services (certified
> by insurnance co.)

Garbage, all of it. Make it legal to charge by weight, problem solved.
 From airlines, to health insurance, to Old Country Buffet. Obesity, too
expensive. Diabetes, and all the rest drastically reduced.

Being unhealthy just needs to cost more then being healthy.

You'll be AMAZED how fast people will stop shoveling corn syrup into
their mouths. Prices would collapse, and farmers would start growing
*gasp* vegetables.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/