[FoRK] Who Ya Gonna Call? App Busters!

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 17 20:42:46 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Lucas Gonze<lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:
> Genius:
>
> The trip was L.A. to Tokyo and back but Rohit and Adam parsed the
> United Airlines routes until they found a way to get to Tokyo for the
> same money by going around the world FIRST CLASS, earning quadruple
> frequent flier miles in the process.  The boys arrived on schedule
> though lubricated the entire way with Johnny Walker Blue Label.

I've been around the world in business class -- it's pretty cool on
the non-US carriers --  but I think I'd have to be a lot younger to
enjoy doing it for the heck of it (or even for the frequent flyer
miles).  Depending on the route, you're probably talking about 25-30K
miles, or 50-60 hours not counting layovers, and even with the first
class multiplier, that's a long time to be in the air.  I assume they
didn't spend too much time at each stop along the way, but I'm sure
there's some sort of rule about the minimum time on each continent.

Ken Meltsner