[FoRK] Paulson reveals US concerns of breakdown in law and order

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jul 19 11:44:28 PDT 2009

Jeff Bone wrote:

> (Anyone want to bet how "transparent" we're being *now*?)

Hopefully, better.  Mostly good signs so far.  I bet we are far, far
more transparent than we were last year.  We've already established that
Cheney illegally kept important information from Congress, and that
certain agencies illegally followed his directives to do the same.  Now
it is just a matter of frequency and degree.

> --
>
> From The Independent:
>
>     http://tinyurl.com/l9u7rb
>
> Excerpt:
>
> Paulson reveals US concerns of breakdown in law and order
>
> By Stephen Foley in New York
>
> Friday, 17 July 2009
>
> The Bush administration and Congress discussed the possibility of a
> breakdown in law and order and the logistics of feeding US citizens if
> commerce and banking collapsed as a result of last autumn's financial
> panic, it was disclosed yesterday.

Hmm.  Break the law repeatedly (i.e. the Constitution), shuffle
something like trillions to your fat cat buddies and/or allow various
kinds of skimming / draining (super bonuses of failing companies,
creating a very rich, and right leaning, almost mercenary-like class,
sweetheart deals, etc.), have the appearance of subverting elections, be
secretive about ties and agreements with energy companies (not long
before their prices and profits reach staggering heights) and others, be
secretive about government surveillance, programs, and whatever other
mucking around might be going on...  Gee, I wonder why these guys were
worried about a revolt?  They provided so much fodder for conspiracy
freaks that we're going to be talking kooks down for 10 years.  The
scary thing is that way too many of the possible conspiracies were real.

It is very good that we're unraveling at least the secrecy for these
things and often the programs themselves, when they don't really make sense.