[FoRK] A Radical New Router

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Wed Jul 22 15:13:16 PDT 2009

Bill Stoddard wrote on 7/22/2009 12:46 PM:
> Stephen Williams wrote:
>> This shouldn't be radical, it should have already been done.  Nice
>> solution to "fixing" TCP by working with it.  They carefully drop a
>> single packet per TCP flow to drop transmission rate without going
>> exponential.
>>
>> http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/computing/networks/a-radical-new-router/1
>>
>> sdw
> I was an SNA hack in a past life and I had the exact same 'WTF' response
> when I read this in my hardcopy Spectrum that came in the mail a while
> back.   Hardly newsworthy much less 'radical'...

WTF-fatigue took me long ago. People are now working on and VERY excited
about things I was taught (in books for god sake) in the early 90's that
people figured out and mastered by the 70's.

Of course, industry is the same, look at Google. They make all their
money on AdSense which they bought from someone else, and 90% of the
employees - their parents were in diapers when people first used stuff
like Google docs.

I used to pimp-slap uppity nerds with Engelbart's Mother of all Demo's,
but I stopped caring... let them get all excited that they discovered
multicore, or state caching (the excitement over caching right now is
mind-boggling), or a Web 2.0 version of dumb terminals, or whatever, it
really doesn't hurt anything.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/