[FoRK] moar change we can believe in!

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 15:21:21 PDT 2009

http://www.theinternetofthings.eu/content/internet-things-critique-ambient-technology-and-all-seeing-network-rfid
===
Cities across the world are about to enter the next phase of their
development. A near invisible network of radio frequency
identification tags (RFID) is being deployed on almost every type of
consumer item. These tiny, traceable chips, which can be scanned
wirelessly, are being produced in their billions and are capable of
being connected to the internet in an instant. This so-called ‘Ambient
intelligence’ promises to createa global network of physical objects
every bit as pervasive and ubiquitous as the worldwide web itself.

the_internet_of_things

Some are already calling this controversial network the ‘internet of
things’, describing it as either the ultimate convenience in
supply-chain management, or the ultimate tool in our future
surveillance. This network has the power to reshape our cities and yet
it is being built with little public knowledge of consent.Here Rob van
Kranenburg examines what impact RFID, and other systems, will have on
our cities and our widersociety; while also ruminating on what
alternative network technologies could help safeguard our privacyand
empower citizens to take power back into their own hands.
===

Thoughts on the idea?  What's meaningful about it?

One thing that's heavy is internet-connected measurement devices
reporting weather, traffic speed, airborn chemicals.