[FoRK] [p2p-research] Autonet - an autonomous internet - call for participation

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 09:11:45 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> Autonet is a project to create a wireless, global internet that can
> provide more reliability than corporate phone companies by being
> community based and freely licensed.

Smaller in scope and 8 years older http://www.personaltelco.net/  of
historic note http://www.personaltelco.net/ThePlan

Many lesson learned of which I will point out scale and civil
adoption. Many people love the PTP in Portland but only a small
fraction are apt to help out, smaller still is the number who got
involved enough to set up a node or help keep them running. At present
there are maybe 10 core members holding the thing up.

Scale of gear is a biotch as is getting to the point where you are not
using the INtertubes(tm) as a backbone to link the nodes. Linking the
neighborhood nodes to form a city wide mesh with no intertubes(tm)
involved turned out to be one of many walls that were hit.

Being the eternal optimist I am going to keep an eye on this new
effort. Its stated goals are very much the reasons why I was so exited
to be part of the PTP when I joined up all those years ago.

-tom(awaken fido)higgins