[FoRK] MS Outlook is pathetic

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Sep 21 10:47:40 PDT 2009

I have almost universally avoided using Outlook.  Watching a friend's
system get owned by simply browsing a message back in 1999 was enough
for me.  Additionally, Mozilla Thunderbird evolved to handle my
industrial messaging needs very well.

I have always known and chafed at the stupid handling of email addresses
vs. display names in messages that have been hacked by Outlook.  Somehow
some idiots at Microsoft think that you'll never need the actual email
address in a bunch of circumstances.  Not only is this not true in at
least some corporate environments, but it is pathetically shortsighted
for Internet usage.  (Look at a forwarded message through Outlook.  All
of the "addresses" on the embedded message are simply "Firstname
Lastname".  Completely useless.)  The display name is advisory only!  It
is the email address that is important...

I've also noticed that the only obvious way to avoid top posting is to
edit in text responses using colors or other display offsets, which is
clearly substandard and limited.  Try having a conversation over time
with that!

Now I see that the "blockquote" based handling of quoted email messages
that Thunderbird uses in HTML email is completely ignored by Outlook!
(Outlook 2007 12.0.6504.5000 SP2 MSO).  There is no display of the
blockquoting at all so that interspersed comments or quoting levels are
not set off in any way.

How does anyone use this crap for anything serious?  No wonder text
email works so much better.  FoRK would be completely unreadable in
Outlook with HTML email.

How many FoRKers actually use Outlook?