[FoRK] Durable, cheap housing

Michael Cummins michael at i-magery.com
Mon Sep 21 11:54:12 PDT 2009

> Portland has a couple of container houses or structures
> about the city.

When I was in the Navy I visited the hydrofoil unit down in Key West for a
tour.  Their entire (hydrofoil) support group: machine shops, berthing
areas, food prep, etc were all essentially shipping containers connected
together to form a small community.

You could pick up the whole thing and move it to another location pretty
quickly, relatively speaking.

Kind of neat, I thought.

The modular steel building people do all kinds of things to their buildings
that I'm sure you could translate to containers.  You might want to check
out how they deal with insulation, beautification, support engineering, etc.