[FoRK] MS Outlook is pathetic

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Sep 21 12:01:16 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:47:40AM -0700, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> I have almost universally avoided using Outlook.  Watching a friend's
> system get owned by simply browsing a message back in 1999 was enough
> for me.  Additionally, Mozilla Thunderbird evolved to handle my
> industrial messaging needs very well.

Your message is #141641 in my inbox (plain mbox, no Maildir). Imagine
having to handle this in Outlook. Regexp searches? GNU screen support?
The only thing missing is full-text index searches.

> I have always known and chafed at the stupid handling of email addresses
> vs. display names in messages that have been hacked by Outlook.  Somehow
> some idiots at Microsoft think that you'll never need the actual email
> address in a bunch of circumstances.  Not only is this not true in at

Gmail does that, too.

> How does anyone use this crap for anything serious?  No wonder text
> email works so much better.  FoRK would be completely unreadable in
> Outlook with HTML email.
>
> How many FoRKers actually use Outlook?

Mutt here. Considering sup, but not really.

I'm thinking about starting to reject certain MUAs (Outlook, perhaps Gmail)
or at least filtering them into a high-noise folder. Ditto overquoting,
and top-posting.

If they annoy me, I can annoy them, hein?