[FoRK] MS Outlook is pathetic

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Sep 21 12:57:46 PDT 2009

Tom Higgins wrote:
> Bunch of big brains like yall cant come up with a bit of code to
> rework a mail msg to conform to your posting etiquette / fetishes?
> Top posting should be a snap given the demarcation of quote space in
> most mail aps.  Lazy quote jobbers as well can be dealt with ,
> perhaps, by utilizing quote/new content ratios. As for the
> discrimination by MUA...should be easy enough.
>
> Again I think this whole fetish curmudgeon fest is solvable once and
> enforced happily ever after.
>
> I expect preliminary code examples by the close of business today.

I vote for patches to all MTAs to send "message corrupted" and similar
warning message spam to all senders with broken MUAs.  Those patches we
could get out there.  We need emailLint as a module to do the analysis
and generate the warning messages.  Then we just hook it into the MTA
stream.  Actually, no patches are necessary, this can easily be done as
a filter in Sendmail, Postfix, etc.

So, we need to define the emailLint error list:

Missing email addresses!!!
Top posting?
proprietary email enclosures for forwarding, etc. (I didn't mention this
one, but it is a biggie with Outlook).

The main drawback is that this doesn't solve the "email client cannot
properly display or edit messages", i.e. not supporting "blockquote" etc.

sdw