[FoRK] Fun research stuff...

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Mon Sep 21 13:31:00 PDT 2009

Eugen Leitl wrote on 9/21/2009 7:40 AM:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 01:25:58AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
>> Jim Whitehead wrote:
>>> Hi Adam,
>>>
>>> Didn't realize you were working on storage systems these days...

I've been doing distributed operating systems for almost 20 years now.
Storage, networking, processing, and ID/auth are all in my domain.

I think I've almost managed to make it 1000x more complicated and 10x
less efficient then it should be so academia/industry will take it
seriously. j/k I'm not doing what everyone else does.

What the press calls what I do this week, or next week for that matter,
is anyones guess, I've already been through ~7 buzzword cycles. "Cloud"
is on it's last legs now that every company is doing it and every ISP is
offering it. I suggest "Data Hostage Computing" replace "Cloud", since
"Doing the same old thing thing since 1955" is so un-sexy.

>> Suddenly, so am I - a new day job.  I'm staying in the Valley after all.
>
> Strangely enough, me too. It's interesting what you can do with FreeNAS 0.7
> and/or OpenSolaris on 16 and 24-drive Supermicro chassis. Consumer
> Intel SSDs for L2ARC and ZIL (FreeNAS can't do that yet), and things
> are quite interesting.
>
> Order of magnitude less than what Sun charges.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

Turns out you need LOTS of storage to facilitate losing money faster
then the next guy in the Web 2.0 world. A job where you are racing to
the bottom, isn't a job for long.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/