[FoRK] Project 10^100 --- vote, bitches! ;-)

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Sat Sep 26 10:12:47 PDT 2009

--- On Sat, 9/26/09, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:

> Just do it.
>
>   http://www.project10tothe100.com/
>
> Personally, I was torn between three of these:
>
>   -  Enhance science and engineering education
>   -  Make government more transparent
>   -  Work toward socially conscious tax policies
>
>  ...[snip]...
>
> So it came down to the first one, for me.  In the end,
> it seems like the one that stands the best chance of having
> direct, measurable, immediate, significant, positive, and
> long-term societal impact;  science and engineering
> education implicitly promotes skepticism, empiricism,
> numeracy, and objectivity --- all of which we have a
> dramatically-increased need for at the same time that we're
> seeing massive declines in each.

I did it.

For those same reasons I voted for this one:

 - Encourage positive media depictions of engineers and scientists.

I think, at least in North America and most of the developed world, we already have excellent programs for science and engineering education. We just need more people to prepare for and enter them. Even in the developing world there is a serious focus on, and good availability of, such programs. So we just need to give those fields more caché ... more "coolness" amongst the youngsters.

As the description for this entry puts it we need to encourage our youngsters well in advance of them going into those programs. I think we would actually get as much or more of those desirable characteristics you listed by just getting more of our youth to start thinking about and prepping for such careers (taking the right preparatory classes in middle and high school) than by enhancing the programs themselves.

It's too bad someone didn't have the presence of mind to combine those two.

     ...ken...