[FoRK] What it means...

Bill Stoddard wgstoddard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:36:47 PDT 2009

Jeff Bone wrote:

> (re: Tom  / economics / faith)
>
> To be clear, I'm not an economist (except in some applied sense;  I'd
> rather say "complex systems enthusiast" at this point) and I don't
> have anything *resembling* faith in conventional economics or
> economists of any particular school.
>
> The *idea* that large, complex systems --- be they galactic clusters,
> ecosystems, or economies / societies --- adhere to some kind of laws
> that make them not entirely random and to some degree predictable ---
> *that* I agree with in principle, tentatively.  What those laws might
> be are well beyond me or anybody else on this planet at present.  But,
> we try.  Discarding those hypotheses that don't fit the (eventual)
> evidence is an essential part of the process.

Speculating a bit further re deflation as existential thread to the
Fed... this is an interesting little article that sheds a small bit of
light re the Fed and gold:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2009/09/gold-manipulation-smoking-gun.html

in particular:
"..it remains true that gold is the enemy of the welfare warfare state
and its central banks."

and

" ..governments may tax gold sales profits at some phenomenal rate,
thereby effectively confiscating gold a second time."

Mark Faber and others are predicting gold through the roof in a few
years time; this would mean that some essential tipping point would be
reached and that central bankers have lost control.  If that happens,
gold -will- be 'confiscated'... in some way or fashion either directly
or indirectly.  Truly scary how close we're skating to the edge... at
least it feels that way to me.

Bill