[FoRK] Coup Needed - What the right wing really thinks?

Damien Morton dmorton at bitfurnace.com
Thu Oct 1 20:34:38 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 1:14 PM, J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com
> wrote:

> Even 5 million is nothing -- there are a third of a billion people in the
> US.  You can find at least 5% of the population that will believe
> *anything*, even if they do not have any concept of the subject matter.
>  There are reams of research about the credulity of humans.  For any belief,
> no matter how stupid or contrived, you can reliably poll 10-20% that
> "believe" in it.  What people believe doesn't really matter because most
> humans act far more rationally than their professed beliefs would suggest.

Makes you wonder what the correlation between how people answer these polls
and what they are really thinking is.

Wonder how many polled "birthers" simply tell the polsters they think Obama
isnt a citizen, when in fact this is merely a protest vote.

The other way to think of it is this: based on your statistic of 10-20% of
the population that will say "yes" to any question put to them by an
authority figure, could we reliably say that group of people represent a
population so psychologically beaten down that they will tell a pollster
anything they think they want to hear? Do we have a new angle on the torture
debate here?