[FoRK] Coup Needed - What the right wing really thinks?

Kent Spaulding kent at iotabits.com
Fri Oct 2 11:37:42 PDT 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> --- On Thu, 10/1/09, Damien Morton <dmorton at bitfurnace.com> wrote:
>

>> The other way to think of it is this: based on your statistic of
>> 10-20% of the population that will say "yes" to any question put to
>> them by an authority figure, could we reliably say that group of
>> people represent a population so psychologically beaten down that
>> they will tell a pollster anything they think they want to hear?
>> Do we have a new angle on the torture debate here?
>>

> No. You are assuming it's the same 10-20% of the population on all
> questions. It won't be. You are also assuming that a pollster will
> be seen as an authority figure. I doubt that.

According to studies (Amos Tversky, IIRC) - if you ask a person the
last four digits of their social security number and then to estimate
the number of taxi-cabs in NY City (for example), their answer will
correlate strongly with the number they just stated.  You don't need
to be seen as an authority to introduce a correlation effect in polls,
and will it be 'accidental?'

Give the polls a rest, unless we see error rates, what's the dang point?