[FoRK] a spare Google Wave invite?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Oct 5 14:51:34 PDT 2009

Adam L Beberg wrote:
> Tom Higgins wrote on 10/4/2009 11:54 AM:
>> I am down to 0 invites on wave. If they up the count I will post about
>> it up here and then its first bug first get.
>>
>> Wave is...interesting. Very alpha.Needs more Pr0n and gamez.
>
> Does anyone else wonder what would happen if the entire world wasn't
> chasing and catering to those with ADHD? Sure all the corn syrup and
> caffeene hasn't left much else as far as the human population goes,
> but there has to be someone else out there.
>
> Who did Google buy for this tech anyway, some high school kid's
> project? Even with their 20% time and thousands of engineers, there is
> no evidence they have ever thought up a single thing that could make a
> dime...

Google Wave was thought up primarily by the brothers who brought you
Google Maps, with the uber-cool AJAXy interaction.  Plus Stephanie Hannon.
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/28/live-with-the-google-wave-creators/

I haven't fully analyzed it really, so I don't have a complete opinion
of whether it solves the grand unification of communication problem or
whether I agree with all architectural principles.  However, it is a
pretty good shot and does get a number of things right.  As I've
commented periodically, we need to go to the next level soon on
email/presence/IM(and Twitter, SMS, etc.)/blogging/ project/group web
publishing.  They are trying pretty hard, making it mostly open source,
and envisioning a federated model (i.e. email / web server independent
communication partners).  Not bad, and far more compelling than Groove
et al.

The system uses XML deltas (and some people will know that pleases me),
Merkle trees for change detection / updates, a very nice filter / widget
architecture, and all of the newest flashy GWT / HTML 5 capabilities.
I'm afraid that it might use a crazy amount of chatty traffic (every
keystroke generates communication to get some of the immediacy they
want), and I'm skeptical of some of the other architecture so far, but a
good try, at least.  And no one else seems to have any capable or
coherent unification ideas in this direction.

I'm hoping that it will make a good platform for what I want to build.
It could be that they have solved a lot of the plumbing that I had been
envisioning, perhaps in a way better than I would have been able to do
in bootstrap / startup time.

sdw