[FoRK] a spare Google Wave invite?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Oct 5 15:32:47 PDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 08:16:04PM +1100, silky wrote:
<...>
> I also do half-wonder how easy it is so foster innovation and yet
> control it. I'm not certain on the legitimacy of company-sponsored
> innovation programs, unless the personal rewards are huge.

It legitimizes work on personal and "skunkworks" projects, while putting a
strict bound on them.  Managers don't have to keep as close tabs on how
engineers are spending their time, or even fully understand the details.
This frees them up for more meetings and discourages micro-management.

> It's hard to think of a model that would work, though, and still allow
> a company to get about it's business, and not loose employees. You may
> argue that you could potentially swap; instead of 80% on corp, it's
> 20%, and 80% on your own business (if it's making enough money), until
> they replace you.

Enron tried something like that.  Hire the "best and brightest" MBAs from
Harvard and Yale and let them do whatever they fancy.
Worked out well, at first.