[FoRK] Cloud

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Mon Oct 5 16:28:35 PDT 2009

Benjamin Black wrote on 10/5/2009 3:18 PM:
> full-auto infrastructure management and capacity scaling horizontally?
> not a part of the mainframe world.  distributing computation to the
> massive datasets over which it is operating _and_ moving data
> geographically closer to users?  no real analog in the mainframe world.
>  dealing with the thorny problems of massive scale, geodistributed
> caching?  you get the idea.

Half the people on this list were doing that stuff in the 90's,
including me. Cloud is a marketing model, not a technology. Just Google
is an ad company and any technology they decide to buy is just
collateral damage (I've yet to see any data that convinces me that ads
work at all on Gen-X+ humans)

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/