[FoRK] A thought on Design and Quality

Dave Long dave.long at bluewin.ch
Wed Oct 7 03:53:04 PDT 2009

> As another example of how well thought out the whole package is,
> the author mentioned the very welcome feature of a single Ctl/Alt/
> Del key. Yes, a single key that does the Ctl/Alt/Del function.

Just as long as they don't give any to the OS developers: the
stability of a system seems inversely proportional to how painful it
is to reboot.

cf http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lightweight/131

On the other hand, what about a system that would reboot quickly (and
persistently?) enough that rebooting could be the default error
recovery?  (I've even had occasion, on AVR, to have code where
rebooting was part of the normal control flow.  Never resetting the
watchdog timer allows one to have confidence in the recovery
path...)  Has the recovery-oriented computing crowd come up with
anything recently?

-Dave