[FoRK] A thought on Design and Quality

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Oct 7 08:45:43 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 11:06:28AM -0400, Bill Kearney wrote:
> No one's saying you have to care.  Just that it's more than a bit lame to
> try comparing what's out now with ancient OSes that did appreciably less.

So you think Genera or a reasonable *nix were doing appreciably less?
Perhaps they did, but I don't quite see the added value to me personally,
I must admit.

> Feel free to crawl backward any time you like.   There's probably an
> emulator out there that'll assist the reminiscence.

I'm not interested in a unsupported system. I'd rather have a decent
modern Unix, or a modern Lisp machine equivalent, just without the
bloat.

I presume it's time to ditch Linux. I'm just not ready to jump
ship yet, at least not without a fight.