[FoRK] Kindle price slashed...

Benjamin Black b at b3k.us
Wed Oct 7 10:28:50 PDT 2009

Reese wrote:
> Oh look, the Kindle price has been slashed by about 13 percent!
> Now it's only about 85% more than it ought to cost, given the
> very similar cost of some or most e-books to paper books!?!?!

sorry, not following the logic.  can you explain?

the more important part of the announcement, imo, is the GSM support in
the new model (aka, 'international' support).  being tied to that PoS
sprint data network stopped me from buying any previous kindle.

> Will anyone be running out to buy one now?
>
> Less facetiously, I'm bugged by how Amazon deleted files in the
> recent "1984" brouhaha, though the native PDF support and larger
> screen the Kindle DX sported did bring some interest. Should anyone
> encounter a viable alternative that does not involve running all ur
> data through their server and that is more competitively priced,
> I'd like to hear about it. Or maybe Amazon will finally get the clue.

there are numerous ways to get PDF files onto a kindle, and numerous
ways to convert content to kindle format.  what clue does amazon need to
get?