[FoRK] Coup Needed - What the right wing really thinks?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Oct 7 10:50:57 PDT 2009

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>
>> My stepfather was born in Hawaii *and* was *not* born in the US in a
>> strong
>> sense.  Exercise for the reader and all that...  ;-)
>>

> So then the more interesting question is how many people are not aware
> that
> Hawaii and/or Alaska are now states?

The simple answer to "Were you born in the US?" would seem to be "No." if
you were born in Hawaii before it was a state.  (On the other hand, it was
a territory since 1898.)  I'll bet that there are a large percentage of
people in the US that would incorrectly answer questions like: "Are you a
citizen of the US if you weren't born in a state?"

Back in 1985, when I visited Albuquerque, my relatives and friends there
pointed out that many people didn't know that New Mexico was part of the
US.  They were frequently exasperated when trying to order something over
the phone and the person stated that they didn't ship to foreign
countries.