[FoRK] Coup Needed - What the right wing really thinks?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Wed Oct 7 14:50:44 PDT 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 1:59 PM, rst at ai.mit.edu wrote:
> How many of these people
> are aware that John McCain was born in Panama?

Everyone is aware of this, it just isn't relevant.

Because *both* of McCain's parents were American citizens, McCain was
automatically a statutory natural citizen of the US without any
further qualification.  Technically, whether or not a statutory
citizenship meets the Constitutional requirement is an open question
(the Supreme Court has never had need to address it), and if McCain
had won I have no doubt that left-wing kooks would have latched onto
it. Such is the way of kooks.

> [*] His mother was American; children of American citizens are
>    natural-borm Americans themselves no matter where on the globe
>    the birth itself took place.

This is incorrect.

If only one parent is an American citizen *and* the child is born
outside US jurisdiction, the child may not even be a statutory
citizen. I do not know what the specific rules are, but having a
single American parent definitely does not by itself confer statutory
citizenship.  The kooks are not fabricating an imaginary legal
argument, but its validity does hinge on Obama having been born
outside US jurisdiction e.g. in Kenya.