[FoRK] FoRK Digest, Vol 73, Issue 7

Marty Halvorson marty at halvorson.us
Wed Oct 7 15:21:29 PDT 2009

Corinna Schultz wrote:
> > My stepfather was born in Hawaii *and* was *not* born in the US in a strong
> > sense.  Exercise for the reader and all that...   ;-)
> >
> So then the more interesting question is how many people are not aware that
> Hawaii and/or Alaska are now states?

I was in Hawaii both before and after it became a state.  My U.S. Navy
ship stopped there on the way to the Far East.  We stopped again on the
way back.  The first time it was not a state, the second time it was.
My cousin, who lived there said it was one of the best parties he'd ever
attended.

Stephen D. Williams wrote:
 > Back in 1985, when I visited Albuquerque, my relatives and friends
 > there pointed out that many people didn't know that New Mexico was
 > part of the US.  They were frequently exasperated when trying to
order  > something over the phone and the person stated that they didn't
ship  > to foreign countries.

Tell me about it.  The state sponsored New Mexico magazine used to have
a regular feature telling of folks who didn't know we're a state, and
have been since 1912.  By the way, Santa Fe is celebrating it's 400th
birthday this year.  It's the oldest Capital city in the U.S.

Peace
Marty Halvorson