[FoRK] Kindle price slashed...

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 17:00:26 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Reese <howell.r at inkworkswell.com> wrote:
> Benjamin Black wrote:
> >if you want an e-reader that just an e-ink screen and a usb
>> port, talk to sony.  they have want you want.
>
> I'll look at Sony. Again. Because the problem with instant gratification
> is that it does not happen quickly enough. As you so ably demonstrate.

/me waves his sony pr505 . F yeah. No one crawling in this device
mofo, security thru cutting the fing umbilical; I would think you
security like types would have recognized that as trumping the gilded
cage of a Pavlovian shinny red button of GimmeGimmeGoodie. Cages
...gilded blech. Also, all them there always connected devices, those
little computers with enough processing power to do a little something
something..once the exploits hit (renders that can read web pages/run
javascript (or whatever your powering it with) getting the taint of
XSS or what ever plays a the time...yeah..have fun with that..the
kindlebotnet:)-

(sidebar, it has been fun watching the pr505 dev sceen. Folks found
they can put javascript files in a sweet spot on the sd card and run
all manner of code..tweeks to the firmware, soduku style games...like
I said...all those little processors...all that potential. )

I may someday sooner or latter come to recant my "ebook reader as an
unconnected simple device I have to focus on actually reading books
with rather than another time sink devices thats is part of the
borgskynet", but so far the happy factor is high, the books I want are
gettable and so far its an all good dealio.

-tom(can we just call epub the winner and drop the venerable
mobipocket format please...I mean thats so palm tungsten era)higgins