[FoRK] Kindle price slashed...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Oct 8 01:23:41 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 01:40:12PM -0500, Ken Meltsner wrote:

> My personal idea is that locked ebooks (non-transferable) need to be
> priced around 50% of the paper book price.  At airports, it's common
> to see places that will buy back books that they've sold for 50% of
> the retail price.  Since you can't resell or reuse the ebook, the
> price should be comparable to that.

Would you bother to look for an ebook on a p2p network if you
could get the non-DRM original directly from the author or
via a portal for 1-3 USD? (It doesn't matter that some still will,
since most won't).

Consider you're keeping 99% of the transaction value as an author.
Since the sales cumulate, it should be quite easy to make a modest
living even as a small-niche author.

> There you have it: ebooks as a tool -- cheap books to get people
> hooked in a fashion that's unlikely to cannibalize other sales and as
> a way to differentiate access to timely information/entertainment
> (e.g. price can change several times between the publication of the
> hardcover and paperback versions of a book.)  I'd also like to see
> prices drop, in general, to reflect the lower utility of DRM'd titles,
> but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I think the proprietary e-book readers are on the last legs, even
before they entered mainstream.

Paradoxically, it's trivially to fully automatically OCR titles
from an e-book reader, since the page turning is automatable, and
the display is perfectly flat. No way to DRM your retina and cochlea
yet, fortunately.