[FoRK] Kindle price slashed...

silky michaelslists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 01:40:52 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:23 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 01:40:12PM -0500, Ken Meltsner wrote:
> > My personal idea is that locked ebooks (non-transferable) need to be
> > priced around 50% of the paper book price.  At airports, it's common
> > to see places that will buy back books that they've sold for 50% of
> > the retail price.  Since you can't resell or reuse the ebook, the
> > price should be comparable to that.
>
> Would you bother to look for an ebook on a p2p network if you
> could get the non-DRM original directly from the author or
> via a portal for 1-3 USD? (It doesn't matter that some still will,
> since most won't).
>
> Consider you're keeping 99% of the transaction value as an author.
> Since the sales cumulate, it should be quite easy to make a modest
> living even as a small-niche author.

I like this idea. Is someone doing this business? I.e. instead of
publishers, you have the portal, and anyone can submit a "book";
perhaps it is subjected to some sort of review. App store for books, I
guess. Blogging is banned :P

Seems like a nice way to get more money directly to the authors, if
there becomes an open standard for publishing books that all readers
implement (there probably already is; given how little I know).

All portals don't have to co-operate (just like all bookshops don't);
as long as they all produce a result that is readable by all readers.
Nice idea.