[FoRK] A thought on Design and Quality

Dave Long dave.long at bluewin.ch
Thu Oct 8 04:40:56 PDT 2009

> love the apollo reference!  i had not heard of that before.  this old
> thing might also be of interest to folks:
> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/ .

Now that was an interesting system.

When I was bringing up the C development environment, the kernel
hackers would introduce crash bugs every now and then into our
development environment.  But the results were not drastic: usually
it was a simple matter of going to get a cup of coffee, and returning
to find that one's editing session -- running a standard IBM OS
inside a hosted VM -- had been mostly restored.

A little after I'd left for school they finally got it ported from
the original machine-room mainframe incarnation, and on workstations
the resulting persistence demo was fairly impressive: in order to
force a reboot, they'd simply pull the plug out of of the wall.  Not
only does using the power cable save keyboard space for an "attention
key", but it's a little difficult for applications to intercept...

"A computer's attention span is only as long as its extension cord"

-Dave