[FoRK] Kindle price slashed...

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 8 15:30:48 PDT 2009

--- On Thu, 10/8/09, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Traditional publishing does "add value"; if nothing else,
> it filters out quite a bit of the dreck.

While I agree with that as a general statement, it still lets some dreck through. I just finished reading a science fiction novel, "Genesis" (Ken Shufeldt), that was about the worst dreck imaginable.

It was published by TOR books. I have generally expected anything coming out under their label to be something readable. Not this one. I finished it yesterday and I'm still asking myself, "Why?". I suppose I continued after the first few chapters in hopes that in a book from TOR, with some glowing praise from other authors on the covers, I would, somewhere before the end, discover what they saw in it.

I am still unenlightened. <shudder>

.....mmmm.... Upon reflection, it was well-edited in the technical sense. No egregious grammatical errors or bad spelling.

 ...ken...