[FoRK] Authoritative explanation of gas spike in 2007/8?

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 9 13:07:57 PDT 2009

--- On Fri, 10/9/09, Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Seems reasonable, but some refineries
> can work with heavier crudes
> than others.

But can they get ultra low sulphur diesel out of them?

> When I was at chevron's Richmond refinery (mid
> '80s), they had invested heavily to handle Alaskan and other heavy
> crudes, and were burned when lighter crudes remained plentiful.

I'll bet they've recouped their investment since then. Our local refinery expended a considerable sum to build an upgrader adjacent to the refinery for upgrading heavier crudes. That was in the 80's. They are now expanding the entire refinery, including the upgrader portion.

'Course we don't live very far from a couple of large sources of heavy crude.

         ...ken...