[FoRK] Desperation

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 9 21:45:07 PDT 2009

--- On Fri, 10/9/09, geege schuman <geege4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Our Groupwise e-mail server at work
> > > crashed a few daze ago and we may be in
> > > a situation where we lose EVERYTHING - our address books,
> > > our archived mail, everything.  Can you
> > > think of something that may save us from this fate?
> > > Novelle says no.
> > >

> > Umm... Restore from one of your backups???
> >

> There is no backup.  I'm not IT, I'm a victim of IT.

That's unbelievable. Totally stupid and incompetent. There should have been multiple backups for them to go back to. And at least one relatively recent backup set should have been offsite. I feel for you but I don't know Groupwise. Sorry.

You didn't say what sort of crash. If the problem is damage to the hard drive(s) there are companies that do data recovery. Someone should make IT get in contact with at least one such company before they do something REALLY dumb like reformating the drives or tossing them out. If it's primarily soft errors or errors to the parts of the drive holding the operating system you could recover all of your data.

 ...ken...